THE RAAF MEMORIAL CENTRE
The Memorial Centre was
purchased by public subscription and fund raising activities soon after the end of WWII. The Centre was purchased in 1946 and after extensive renovations the building was opened and occupied in 1954 as the State Headquarters of the RAAF Association in
Tasmania. The bullding was orginally held in trust for all members by Trustees but as the Association became an Incorpated Body in 2001, the Trustees, in April 2013, transferred to property from their holding into that of the Association.
The Association uses the most of the Ground Floor area of the building for State Adminsitration and member activities, largely through Hobart Branch. Part of the eastern section of the Ground
Floor and the Upstairs areas are leased to tenants whose rents provide the Division with much needed revenue to promote Member Welfare support and activities.
THE RAAF MEMORIAL CENTRE MUSEUM
The Museum, located on the First Floor of the RAAF Memorial Centre, was opened by the then Chief
of the Air Staff (CAS) Air Marshal J.W. Newham AO on 13 September 1986 and contains many interesting exhibits. The main thrust of the exhibits is centred around the service of Tasmanians in the RAAF over the years from formation to present day. The Museum
operates under the authority of the State Council and is governed by the Tasmania Division Constitution which provides for its being , mangement and control.
Museum is open to inspection by prior arrangement. Any person, club or group who wishes to pay a visit and have a conducted tour is asked to email the State Secretary of the Tasmania Division (Deb Coulson) on: email@example.com or Telephone the Division Office on (03) 6200 9221.
A message service is active when the office is unattended.
Museum is managed by a Museum Committee, the members of which are listed below:
AVM Peter Scully AO - Chairman
GPCAPT Rex Bean
WGCDR Jenny Robertson
Mr George Ashwood
TRAINING/CONFERENCE ROOM / LIBRARY FACILITY
The Rising Damp has now been rectified
leaving our room dry and well refurbished. The Library has now been catalogued and is a very substantial asset.